Chicken Skillet Combo
Throw it all together and serve directly from your cast-iron skillet
1 Whole SVO Farmer Focus Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast, halved, pounded to 3/4 inch
4 Tablespoons olive oil
2 Tablespoons dijon mustard
Fresh rosemary, 2 sprigs
2 Baby eggplants, halved lengthwise
2 Small zucchini, halved lengthwise
2 Vine ripened tomatoes, halved lengthwise
Salt, pepper to taste
4 Slices mozzarella cheese
4 Radicchio leaves
Adapted from a recipe that originally appeared in Food & Wine magazine.
Marinate the chicken:
1. Combine marinade in a small bowl – 4 teaspoons olive oil, 2 tablespoons mustard and rosemary; put in a plastic bag, add chicken breasts and distribute the marinade with your fingers. Refrigerate 1 – 4 hours.
Prep the vegetables:
2. Score the eggplant halves in a diamond pattern, sprinkle lightly with salt, put cut-side down on a plate and set aside.
3. Brush the cut sides of the zucchini and tomatoes – each with 1 teaspoon of olive oil, set aside.
4. Put a slice of mozzarella on each radicchio leaf, fold the leaf into a package, brush with remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil and set aside.
Heat the skillet; grill veggies and chicken:
5. Heat a large cast-iron skillet over high heat for 5 minutes.
6. Remove the chicken from the refrigerator. With a paper towel, pat the eggplant halves dry, brush with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and put into the skillet. Cook, turning until they are soft and nicely browned, about 10 minutes. Remove to a platter.
7. Put the zucchini in the skillet and cook, turning until nicely browned, 3 – 4 minutes. Remove to platter, season with salt and pepper to taste.
8. Put the tomatoes in the skillet, cut sides down and brown for about a minute, Remove to the platter and season to taste.
9. Put the chicken breasts in the skillet, marinade should be generous; cook for 2 minutes, turn and cook 1 minute or until nicely browned on both sides. The marinade will become a golden crust. Remove to the platter.
10. Put the radicchio leaves in the skillet, seam side down, cook for a minute on the first side, turn them.
11. Remove the skillet from the heat, arrange the chicken breasts with the vegetables around them and serve.